A spellbinding story of love, faith, the search for utopia – and the often devastating consequences of idealism.
- Named a book of the year by the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, CNN, New Statesman, Airmail, Scribd, Open magazine, and more. Shortlisted for the Tata LitLive Prize, longlisted for the Chautauqua Prize. Recipient of a Whiting Grant.
- “Haunting, heartbreaking … deeply researched and lucidly told, with an almost painful emotional honesty.” —Amy Waldman, New York Times Book Review (cover)
- “Extraordinary… a riveting account of human aspiration.” — The Boston Globe
- “Suspensefully structured, I consumed it with a febrile intensity” — New York Times
- “Beautiful… I read Kapur’s book with my heart in my mouth.” — Aatish Taseer, Airmail
- “Riveting… Kapur is a terrific storyteller.” — San Francisco Chronicle
- “Haunting, harrowing, moving.” — Nilanjana Roy, Financial Times
- “Propulsive … Expect the unexpected in this riveting story.” — Publishers Weekly
- “Beautifully written and structured. A nonfiction classic.” — William Dalrymple
As Featured In: